Rough sketches were translated to stitches – on the road.
- Esperance Western Australia to Eucla
- Eucla to Ceduna South Australia
Sketches to Stitches #1
- Ceduna to Port Lincoln South Australia
- Port Lincoln to Winchelsea Victoria
Sketches to Stitches #2
The sketches were much easier and quicker than the embroidery – but I’ve never tried sketching as a passenger!
Happy travels, happy stitching!
I finished making a set of napkins for Ballicart on the way from home to Esperance WA.
Art with a purpose I thought, but then napkins still function without embroidery. Without the ‘art’ they’d be dull and boring – wouldn’t they?
Nature Inspired Embroidered Napkins – Helen L
Same threads, same shapes, same stitches but all different!
Same but Different – Helen L
Preparations for Christmas have taken lots of my time lately and I’ve been more productive in the kitchen than the studio this month.
Does painting with chocolate count as art?
Chocolate Bark – Helen Lock
Best of wishes to all for a happy & peaceful festive season.
This is not
“Something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings” – Merriam Webster dictionary
This collage does express visually to me why it has been nearly 4 months (?!!) since I posted here and how I feel and it is important to me, so maybe it is art, albeit not good…
This Is Not Art
I find some comfort in Salvador Dali‘s words:
Have no fear of perfection, you’ll never reach it!
Good Friday 2014 has been and gone but our project lingers on!
This Easter’s project was a painting of a different kind – our 29 year old front veranda.
The Old Canvas
First the old canvas had to be stripped back – a load chain, a 4WD, a mattock, a hose, a wire brush and muscle power helped get the job done.
A Load Chain Helped
The Canvas Is Ready
We felt nervous about the choice of colour, ‘Headland Red’, but it would match the windows and garage doors we’d already done in the hope that it would help to make our dark brick, dark tiled roof house look more homely.
A Work In Progress – Acrylic on Jarrah Timber
Yes, a definite improvement. It took at least 60 hours of painting effort to put two coats on the front balustrade, roof bearer, downpipes and gutters. Just as well we’re happy with the result.
A Big Improvement
When the garden bed in front is prepared and mass planted with native grasses behind a blue flowering ground cover it will look great! Perhaps more pots on the veranda too.
First though, the side veranda needs attention – feeling happy that it’s half the size of the front one! Feeling happy too that the paint we used is guaranteed to last as long as we live here!! We need never paint it again. Ha! Unless we change our mind about the colour…
PS I have had a drawing project on the go too – when I just had to sit down for a while. A subject for another day.